Having become since January 2021 an internal school within Centrale Lyon, the ENISE heads on to new international projects and makes its priority to maintain the quality of both school’s in welcoming foreign students.
Each year, ENISE hosts 13.6% students who are visiting from about 20 countries. They come from Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Tunisia, Cameroon, Russia, Spain, Germany, Slovenia, Ukraine, Moldavia, the United States, etc.
The ENISE offers one-semester or one-year academic exchange programs (in French and in English), and also dual degrees in engineering (in French) and MSc (in French or in English). Foreign students can come for in-laboratory internships (in French or in English) or for a Summer School (in English).
It is crucial for the ENISE that the foreign students have all the necessary means to succeed in their mobility. A key point to this is a successful immersion in a new city and school. This is why the ENISE organizes each year a Welcome Period just before September’s back-to-school: intensive French, assistance in administrative process, guided discovery of the city, etc. Weekly classes in French as a Foreign Language dedicated to the new foreign students are held all around the year.
The ENISE comes together with other high-education institutions, the City of Saint Etienne, and Saint Etienne Metropole to welcome and support the foreign students from their arrival and all along their stay. The Students Welcome Desk (SWD) aims to facilitate the integration of the international students by giving them the opportunity to discover the richness and values of Saint-Etienne and its metropolis.
Internationnal student support
From the end of August to mid-October, and then from the end of January to the end of February, the SWD located in the heart of the city gives advice on residence permits, accommodation, transport, health, and culture & leisure https://saintepass.fr/
All along the year, the foreign students are accompanied by SWD through its Facebook.
In parallel, the ENISE’s International Relations Office provides all the year round general help and advice:
- Guidance and assistance in applying for a room in a students’ residence of their choice:
- Grand Guillaume http://www.toitforezien.fr/etudiants/enise/
- Maison Mines https://www.me-mines-saint-etienne.org/
- Le Littré https://isis-gestion.fr/residence-le-littre/
- Les Estudines https://www.estudines.com/residence-logement-etudiant-saintetienne-17-13.html
- Foyer AGFA https://www.a-g-f-a-saint-etienne.com/
- Creating diverse online accounts: CPAM (Health Insurance Funds - Caisses Primaires d'Assurance Maladie), complementary health insurance (SMERRA, LMDE, April International, etc.), ANEF (student visa validation and application for a student residence permit), CAF (housing subsidies)
- Opening a bank account in a partner bank agency (BNP Paribas)
- Facilitating help-seeking and contact between the student and academic staff
- Facilitating contact with the school's medical staff
- Assuring every-day presence for the international students
First-hand accounts of our students
« I remember my first class in maths very well, as my teacher was speaking very fast, when I had just arrived in France. This memory keeps reminding me now of how much I have improved throughout the year. I feel much more comfortable speaking French now and I am doing fine in class.
Thanks to this extraordinary experience, I have made many friends - we have become inseparable. I have learnt a lot from my failures and successes: everything I have experienced here has made me grow as a person. I wish the same experience to everyone! »
Aurora Bocanumenth (Colombia)
Student in Physical Engineering
« As part of the BRAFITEC programme, I was able to do part of my studies in France, at ENISE. I was warmly welcomed from day one, which helped me find my bearings, within the school but also in the city of Saint Etienne. During my time spent studying at ENISE, I also had the chance to do an internship for a French company, which is how I took part in setting up a new factory for the same group in Brazil. During the internship, I received the technical support of the company's engineers and therefore the possibility to improve my technical skills, my level of French and I also feel that I have grown personally. »
Thiago Moser (Brazil)
Student in Mechanical Engineering